The ground is covered with snow. Snow has many memories associated with it. Although I am not the biggest fan of being cold, I sure do love snow, except when I have to drive in it. But snow reminds me of Christmas time. Here I will make a confession when I was driving to my cousin's play on Friday nights and it was snowing I couldn't help listening to one Christmas song on the radio. I normally am a firm believer that there should be no Christmas until after Thanksgiving but I couldn't help myself. Snow reminds me of the first time I ever went skiing. Snow reminds me of snow forts and igloos, my brothers and I took hours to build. One of my favorite things about snow though is that you can go sledding. Sledding is still fun no matter your age. So yesterday while I was eating lunch I looked out the window and remarked how badly I wanted to go sledding. My Dad immediately responded that he would love to go with me and Joseph also wanted to be part of the fun. So we bundled up. I dug through my closet searching for the same purple snow pants I have had since fifth grade, grabbed my coat, hat, gloves and my favorite sled and piled into the green van. I have been sledding at the same park, on the same hill, for as long as I can remember. As we pulled up I still felt excited. I remember when I was younger I would climb into my purple sled and let my dad pull me over and up the hill. Unfortunately I am too big for that. As I got over to the hill, I remarked to my dad that the hill was a lot smaller than I thought it once was. He pointed to a little girl with her father and said when you were that age it would have been. As I looked at the girl I couldn't help remembering when I was that age. When my Dad would bundle me up and take me to the park. At the top of the hill my dad would carefully place me in front of him on the sled and gleefully we would slide down that hill. I remember laughing and shouting with glee and even after my toes were frozen I would beg to go again and again. After a few rounds of sledding I turned to see one of my childhood friends was there. It reminded me of when we would go sledding on this hill or when we would gather with the other kids up at the church and go sledding. We would race and laugh and have snowball fights. The wonderful thing is even though I am semi-grown up I can remember these things and I still enjoy sledding partly because of the memories I have.
This picture isn't from this year but it is one of those snow memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment