I have been thinking a lot about how much I have to be thankful for. Life is hard sometimes. This summer was a fantastic. I was able to work as a camp counselor at Brighton LDS girls camp. This camp is for beehive girls (ages 12-13). Every week I acted as the mother for 8-10 girls. I ate with them, I hiked with them, I ziplined with them, I rapelled with them, I played with them, I shared what I believed with them, I cried with them and I learned and grew with them. It was hectic and sometimes I just wanted to sit down and cry but it was amazing. Suddenly Summer ended and I was spit back into the real world. The school year struck and I was not prepared. I was sitting in a particularly large class one day when the thought came to me, "you are just a name on a role." This scared me. I suddenly felt very lonely and very scared. That very same day I was reading my Book of Mormon assignment when I stumbled across 1 Nephi 21:15-16: For can a woman forget her suckling child that she should not have compassion on the son of here womb? Yeah they may forget yet will I not forget thee... Behold I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me. At that moment a truth I had taught all summer returned to my head, "I am never alone when I walk by his side." The savior is always near and knows exactly what we are going through. He knows what it feels like when we are so tired we can't go on. He knows what it feels like when a test doesn't go as planned. He knows what it feels like to feel completely alone but because he felt that way we don't have to. I am so grateful for that knowledge I have. I know that that scripture was a tender mercy for me that day.
Ever since then I have been trying to look for tender mercies every day and it has made my life a lot better. Sure things are hard and sometimes we want to quit but being positive drives us forward. Because Thanksgiving is around the corner I decided to make an effort to blog some of these tender mercies, little things I am grateful for every few days (I would like to say everyday but we all know that isn't going to happen). So here is my tender mercy of the day today:
My big brother Seth recent returned from serving his mission in Berlin Germany. He has always been a huge inspiration to me. This evening my family went to see "Meet The Mormons". During the story of the candy bomber a few Germans shared some of their thoughts and gratitude for this man. I glimpsed over at Seth and saw tears glistening in his eyes. After the movie he confided in me that seeing the German people had made him, "home sick". It is wonderful to see the love he developed for these people. Many people rejected him and where rude to him but his service helped him develop love for them. It was a tender moment and helped me realize the importance of service.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment